Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Iphones here Yaay well sort of

Wednesday, January 17, 2007
The Iphones here Yaay well sort of
The alternative tag line is Iphone, Lisa's sister
After all the hyperbola and spins have been spun this week I waited until now to give my opinion on the Iphone, I'll give the same opinion that I gave to friends when I saw it last weekend on the net. YAWN! Whats worse is, this phone shouldn't be a yawn, I have to admit I've deferred my new phone upgrade awaiting this phantom to appear like some unseen force from apple, rumbling unseen yet heard long and wide before its actual arrival. When the final product was revealed last week, I was impressed with the look and form factor, this was typical Apple, VERY cool.
However when it was revealed that no I couldn't put my personal warez of choice on to the phone, things like skype, or ring tones, or anything other than the apple canonized as ,good, hence factory installed software, I was seriously disappointed, in fact I did utter , "dam that's a waste of a year I won't get back." Referencing the year I waited on this disappointment.
The Arm lock they have with Cingular doesn't set well with me either, to be honest, I use Sprint, and I'm not a Sprint fan boy by any means, but in my local area, they just have better coverage,I know this two ways , One I do hardware and software testing on Palms, yup that's right I work for the enemy, well sort of. And having tested all the big networks Cingular would be my choice if, they gave me the phone and my first year of service for free. However that's not going to happen with the Iphone, at $499.00. I'll have to float the boat on this one and it's not going to happen. Two I was a cingular customer in the past, and suffered long and hard from dropped calls. My Sprint service is far better, more expensive, but in fact worth it. Add to that, I have no choice of carrier and my response is, whoa trigger, we ain't going that way! So right out of the gate Apple had two strikes on the Iphone with me. But the deal breaker is the price, its just too high for my blood, further I can get a new Treo 680, unlocked, for $100.00 less than the MSRP on the Iphone. With the limited software, service plans and a high price, I feel totally uncompelled to switch to an Iphone. Lets face it I haven't seen this big of a muck up in strategic vision since, well,, the Zune!

Sadly I predict by September the Iphone will be the Lisa of its time. Gone and only mildy remembered.

No comments: